In the world of natural remedies, Fire Cider is a powerful tonic that has gained popularity for its expansive health benefits. My Everyday Fire Cider herbal tonic is made from a blend of potent, easy to find and effective ingredients that provide support to the body during cold and flu season. You'll see many variations of Fire Cider recipes floating on the internet and they are wonderful, however herbalism is truly the "people's medicine" therefore it was important to me to make a recipe that packed a major health punch and had everyday ingredients you'll find in your kitchen and or local grocery store.
Make this Everyday Fire Cider
I use a glass half gallon size "Ball Mason Jar"
- 4 Stems of a fresh rosemary plant
- 4 stems of a fresh mint plant
- 4 cups of organic apple cider vinegar (with the mother)
- 1 Large Red onion, sliced
- 2 thumbs of turmeric root sliced
- 1 large head of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 medium-sized ginger root, chopped
- 1 medium-sized Orange, sliced
- 2 habanero peppers sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 lime, sliced
1. Prepare the ingredients: Ensure all the ingredients are fresh and organic (if possible). Clean the vegetables and fruit thoroughly.
2. Slice: Slice the onion and crush the garlic cloves. Slice the turmeric, hot peppers, lemon and lime.
3. Combine the ingredients: In a glass jar or mason jar, layer the ingredients (order does not matter).
4. Pour in the apple cider vinegar: Slowly pour the apple cider vinegar over the ingredients, ensuring they are fully submerged.
5. Seal and steep: Secure the jar with a tight-fitting lid. Cover your jar with parchment paper first then screw on the lid. Parchment paper will prevent the lid from corroding due to the apple cider vinegar. Shake it gently to combine the ingredients. Store the jar in a cool, dark place for about 4 weeks, shaking it daily to ensure proper infusion.
6. Strain and sweeten (optional): After the steeping period, strain the liquid using a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth into a clean glass bottle. If desired, add raw honey (2 cups) for a touch of sweetness, you could also add maple syrup (Grade B) or another sweetener of choice. Stir well to combine.
7. Store and consume: Store the fire cider in the refrigerator, where it can last for several months. Take 1 to 2 tablespoons daily to experience its full benefits. You can dilute it with water or use it as a salad dressing or marinade.
Benefits of Fire Cider:
1. Immune-boosting properties: Fire cider contains potent immune-boosting ingredients such as garlic, ginger, and turmeric which can help fortify your body's defenses against common illnesses.
2. Digestive aid: The combination of apple cider vinegar and digestive herbs like ginger and mint can stimulate digestion, relieve indigestion, and improve nutrient absorption.
3. Anti-inflammatory effects: The presence of turmeric and ginger in fire cider can help reduce inflammation in the body, providing relief from conditions such as arthritis and muscle pain.
4. Respiratory support: Fire cider's natural antimicrobial properties found in red onion, garlic and rosemary can help alleviate respiratory issues and clear congestion, making it an excellent remedy for colds, coughs, and sinus infections.
5. Energy booster: Fire cider's invigorating ingredients, including lemon, lime and habanero peppers, can give you a natural energy boost and increase vitality.
Making fire cider at home is a simple and rewarding process that allows you to harness the incredible health benefits of this herbal elixir. With its immune-boosting, digestive aid, and anti-inflammatory properties, fire cider can become a staple in your natural remedies arsenal. Incorporate this tangy and spicy tonic into your daily routine, and experience the vitality it brings to your overall well-being.
Cheers to your health!