PCOS stands for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, which is a hormonal disorder that affects women of reproductive age. It is caused by an imbalance of hormones in the body, specifically an excess of androgens (male hormones) which can lead to various symptoms. The most common symptoms of PCOS include irregular periods, ovarian cysts, acne, excessive hair growth, weight gain, and infertility. PCOS can also increase the risk of developing other health problems such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease. Treatment for PCOS typically involves lifestyle changes, such as a healthy diet and exercise, and medications to regulate hormones and manage symptoms.
As an herbalist, I know plants can be our allies in healing.
My top 5 herbs for managing insulin resistance from PCOS:
1. Ceylon Cinnamon - Ceylon Cinnamon is known for its ability to improve insulin sensitivity, which makes it a great herb for those with PCOS insulin resistance. It can also help regulate menstrual cycles and reduce inflammation.
2. Fenugreek - Fenugreek is a popular herb used for treating insulin resistance in PCOS patients. It works by improving glucose metabolism and reducing insulin resistance.
3. Gymnema Sylvestre - Gymnema Sylvestre is an herb that can help regulate blood sugar levels by increasing insulin production and reducing insulin resistance. It can also help reduce sugar cravings.
4. Holy Basil - Holy Basil, also known as Tulsi, has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity and reduce insulin resistance. It also has anti-inflammatory properties, which can help reduce inflammation in the body.
5. Licorice - Licorice root has been used for centuries to treat various health conditions, including PCOS insulin resistance. It works by regulating blood sugar levels and reducing insulin resistance. *However, it is important to note that licorice should be used in moderation as it can have negative effects on blood pressure if consumed in excessive amounts*